Apr 21, 2016
Fault Lines Links – 4 Ex-NOLA Cops Sentenced In Danziger Bridge Killings
Apr. 21, 2016 (Mimesis Law) — Good morning folks. Your links today:
- Four former New Orleans officers Robert Gisevius, Kenneth Bowen, Anthony Villavaso and Robert Faulcon pleaded guilty and were sentenced to between 7 and 12 years in prison for the shooting and killing of six unarmed civilians on the Danziger Bridge in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. A fifth officer, Arthur Kaufman, was sentenced to 3 years for his role in the cover up of the incident.
- Madison, AL, Officer Eric Parker is set to stand trial in June charged with one count of third degree assault for aggressively taking out 57 year old Sureshbhai Patel, who was going for his morning walk at the time, partly paralyzing him. The two previous federal trials ended with deadlocked juries.
- The shooting of unarmed and naked teen David Joseph by off-duty Austin officer Geoffrey Freeman will be presented to a grand jury. Joseph was shot by Freeman in February after he allegedly charged at the officer making him fear for his life.
- The family of Pierre Loury have filed a lawsuit against the Chicago PD over the fatal shooting of their son. The family allege that racist practices and predispositions led to the death of Loury. Police shot a 16-year old Loury last week following a short foot chase. The officers believed the teen had been involved in an earlier shooting. The teen’s family maintains that he was unarmed during the confrontation.
- A Baltimore judge granted a motion to compel Officer Garrett Miller to testify in two upcoming trials in the death of Freddie Gray including that of Officer Edward Nero, whose trial is scheduled to begin May 10.