Dec 8, 2015
Fault Lines Links – Chicago Police Commander Glenn Evans Goes On Trial For Police Brutality
Dec. 8, 2015 (Mimesis Law) — Morning folks, here’s what we’re watching:
- Chicago police commander Glenn Evans is set to stand trial on Tuesday on charges of official misconduct and aggravated battery of Rickey J. Williams in 2013. Evans, suspecting that Williams was armed, allegedly jammed a gun down Williams’ mouth and held a Taser to his groin. No gun was found on Williams and all charges were later dropped against him.
- Cook County state attorney Anita Alvarez announced that no charges would be brought against Officer George Hernandez in the shooting death of Ronald Johnson in 2014. Dashboard cam footage of the shooting was also released.
- An investigation into the 2012 in custody death of Philip Coleman in Chicago has re-opened following the release of new surveillance footage. The Independent Police Review Authority had previously cleared the officers involved on any charges.
- Christian Whichard has received $250,000 settlement after he was shot in the back by Willingsboro, NJ, Officer Bennie Langford during a police raid on his home in 2011.
- The jury has begun deliberations in the trial of former Oklahoma City Officer Daniel Holtzclaw who faces 36 charges ranging from burglary to sexual assault for crimes committed while on duty.
- An investigation into the fatal shooting of Faisal Mohammad by Merced County, CA, police last month was ruled justified. Mohammad was shot by officers after stabbing 4 people at the University of California and refusing to obey police commands.
- A Missouri Officer responding to a domestic call shot and wounded a man last week after he allegedly tried to run over another officer. An investigation into the incident is underway.
- Richmond Heights, OH, police responding to a call of an armed and suicidal man, shot dead Carlumandarlo Zaramo after he first shot and wounded an officer on Sunday.