Feb 11, 2016
Fault Lines Links – DOJ Sues Ferguson Over Being Totally Awful
Feb. 11, 2016 (Mimesis Law) — Morning everybody, here’s what we’re watching –
- Attorney-General Loretta Lynch announced that the Department of Justice filed a lawsuit against the city of Ferguson, MO, alleging an existence of a pattern of police misconduct and the use of illegal practices.
- Former Paradise, CA, Officer Patrick Feaster has been charged with involuntary manslaughter for the fatal shooting of Andrew Thomas in December. Feaster “accidentally” shot Thomas and failed to immediately report it to the officers and medical staff on the scene of the car crash. Thomas was left paralyzed and later died from his injuries.
- Authorities in Minneapolis have concluded their investigation into the fatal shooting of Jamar Clark by police in November 2015. The prosecutors will now review the case and decide whether to pursue charges against the officers involved. Clark was shot in the head while handcuffed by officers, sparking protests across the country.
- Delaware DA found that officers were justified when they fatally shot Shalamar Longer on Monday after a high speed chase where he allegedly brandished a gun. His cousin Asmar Longer, a passenger in the vehicle, was also wounded. Six officers shot between 50-100 shots into the vehicle.
- A federal judge dismissed the lawsuit of a former IPRA investigator who claimed he had been fired because he refused to change his report which concluded that the Chicago police shooting of Cedrick Chatman was unjustified.