Aug 7, 2015
Fault Lines Links: No Indictment In Ariston Waiters’ Death
Aug. 7, 2015 (Mimesis Law) — Good morning, everyone, and Happy Friday. Here are your links for today.
- A second grand jury cleared Atlanta officer Luther Lewis in the fatal shooting of unarmed teen Ariston Waiters in 2011. The officer was breaking up a fight between two teens and Waiters allegedly tried to grab his gun during arrest. The officer shot him in the back twice while Waiters lay face down on the ground.
- The family of Charly Keunang, a mentally ill homeless man shot multiple times by police on LA’s Skid Row, is suing for wrongful death.
- A suicidal man was shot dead by police in LA. He was “acting strangely” and claimed to have a weapon under a black cloth on his arm.
- NYPD sergeant Joel Dosseau was indicted on 40 charges relating to the rape of a teen girl he met online over several years. He has been released on a $100,000 bond.
- A man in Atlanta has died after falling from a wall while being tasered by police. The officers involved prevented his mother from performing CPR. Police claim he was a robbery suspect.