Oct 6, 2015
Fault Lines Links – NY Chief Judge To Alter Bail System
Oct. 6, 2015 (Mimesis Law) — Morning folks, here are today’s links –
- NY Chief Judge Jonathan Lippman announced plans to alter the state’s bail system with the aim of reducing the number of people who are incarcerated while awaiting trial because they cannot afford bail.
- Los Angeles agreed a $2.85 million settlement in the in-custody death of Vachel Howard in 2012. Howard died when a LAPD jail guard put him in a choke hold for being “combative”.
- Lafayette Sheriff’s Office reached a $400,000 settlement with former inmate Jason Brungardt who was allegedly beaten by prison guards last year. Deputies Brandon Gallien and Michael McSheffrey face charges of second degree battery and a malfeasance offense.
- Cindy Hahn is suing California police after she was brutally beaten for a seatbelt offense in 2013. The video of the incident is pretty awful.
- Oklahoma Officer Michael Dwain Denton has been charged with felony assault and battery with a deadly weapon and misdemeanor reckless conduct with a firearm after footage emerged of him repeatedly hitting an unarmed suspect with the butt of a shotgun in June.
- LAPD shot a man to death on Monday for hurling a 40 oz. beer bottle at the police vehicle, believing they were “under fire”. More details to be released.