Aug 10, 2015
Fault Lines Links: Violence In Ferguson, Zachary Hammond’s Killer ID’d
Aug. 10, 2015 (Mimesis Law) — Welcome to the working week. Here’s what you need to know.
- 20 year old Tyrone Harris was shot by police in Ferguson after protests marking one year since Michael Brown’s death. Harris remains in critical condition in a St Louis hospital. Harris’ father says he was close to Michael Brown.
- The Seneca, SC police officer who shot unarmed teen Zachary Hammond has been identified as Lt. Mark Tiller.
- A police advocacy group on Facebook mocks the death of Michael Brown with fake “memorial”. Classy.
- An officer in training in Texas fatally shot unarmed Christian Taylor. Police reported that Taylor was attempting to break into a car dealership. Video surveillance footage has been released which shows the teenager jumping on a car. The FBI is set to assist with the investigation.
- Kalief Browder’s family are set to bring a $20 million wrongful death lawsuit in New York. Browder was held in Riker’s Island for 3 years for stealing a backpack, although no charges were brought against him, and he reportedly spent 800 days in solitary confinement. He killed himself two months after being released earlier this year.
- Police in Fresno, CA shot and killed a mentally ill man in possession of a toy gun.
- Authorities have released about 30 mins of body cam video footage of Ralkina Jones in her holding cell prior to her death.
- The Fairfax County police officer who shot unarmed John Geer in 2013 has been fired. A special grand jury is scheduled to meet and hear evidence on August 17.