Dec 14, 2015
Fault Lines Links – FL Grand Jury Indicts Cop For Killing Jermaine McBean
Dec. 14, 2015 (Mimesis Law) — Morning everybody, your links for today:
- A Florida grand jury decided to indict Officer Peter Peraza for manslaughter in connection with his fatal shooting of Jermaine McBean in July 2013. Officers responding to a call that an armed man walking down the street with a rifle encountered McBean holding an unloaded pellet gun. The officers claim McBean refused to obey police orders leading them to shoot, however images surfaced of him wearing earbuds which could have prevented him from hearing the commands.
- Nicholas Robertson was shot dead by LA police on Saturday night. Police claim Robertson was armed at the time of the incident and refused to obey orders to drop his gun. Cellphone footage appears to show Robertson crawling away as officers continue to shoot at him.
- Travis Nevelle Page died shortly after being arrested by North Carolina police on Wednesday night. Officers were responding to shots fired, when they encountered Page who matched the suspect’s description. After a struggle, officers used pepper spray on Page and handcuffed him. He was found unresponsive moments later. An investigation into the matter continues.
- New video footage was released on Friday of the fatal shooting of Mario Woods in San Francisco last week. Officers were responding to a report of a stabbing when they encountered Woods wielding a knife. Police say they shot Woods after he approached them in a threatening manner. Woods’ family contend the video shows officers shot him without provocation. The family also announced their intention to file a wrongful death suit.
- Paradise, CA, Officer Patrick Feaster, who accidentally shot and wounded DUI suspect Andrew Thomas last month will not face charges in connection with the incident. The police department claims the shooting was an “accidental discharge”.
- University of North Texas Officer responding to a call that a person was damaging cars shot dead Ryan McMillan on Sunday morning. Police say McMillan, a student at UNT, was wielding an axe and allegedly approached the officer with it, leading him to shoot.
- A verdict is expected on Monday in the trial of Chicago Police Commander Glenn Evans on charges of official misconduct and aggravated battery of Rickey J. Williams in 2013. Evans, suspecting that Williams was armed, allegedly jammed a gun down Williams’ mouth and held a Taser to his groin. No gun was found on Williams and all charges were later dropped against him.
- The jury is set to begin deliberations on Monday in the trial of Baltimore Officer William Porter in the death of Freddie Gray. Porter faces charges including manslaughter, second-degree assault and misconduct in office.
- Nassau Officer Vincent LoGiudice was found not guilty of felony and misdemeanor assault charges stemming from his encounter with Kyle Howell during a traffic stop in April 2014.
- Chattanooga, TN, police fatally shot Javiario Eagle on Saturday night after he allegedly refused to follow police orders and brandished a firearm and knife while holding a child.
- Marvin Banks, accused of shooting dead two Mississippi officers, was found dead in his jail cell on Friday where he was awaiting trial.