Jan 7, 2016
Fault Lines Links – Grand Jury Indicts Trooper Who Arrested Sandra Bland On Perjury Charge
Jan. 7, 2015 (Mimesis Law) — Morning folks, your links this morning:
- Texas Trooper Brian Encina who arrested Sandra Bland in July 2015 was indicted by a grand jury on a perjury charge (dash cam video here). Bland was found hanging in her cell three days after her arrest. A grand jury previously declined to charge any jail staff in connection with Sandra Bland’s death.
- 911 audio released in the Douglas, GA, police shooting of Bobby Daniels last December disputes the responding officers’ story. The audio tape and witness accounts identify Bobby Daniels’ son, 25 year old Bias Daniels, as the gun-wielding suspect on the scene.
- Bayonne, NJ, settled two police brutality law suits for an undisclosed amount. In one case, Jason Rios claimed he was beaten, pepper-sprayed and arrested by officers for no reason. In the other case, Genevieve Glunk claimed she was assaulted and charged with a crime by officers responding to a disturbance.
- Baltimore Officer William Porter is seeking to avoid testifying against Officer Caesar Goodson in the death of Freddy Gray. Goodson, the driver of the vehicle transporting Gray, faces second degree murder charges. His trial is set to begin with jury selection on Monday.
- A trial date for Suffolk County, NY, Officer James Burke was set for March 21. Burke is charged with assaulting Christopher Loeb in 2012 and conspiracy to obstruct a federal investigation into the attack.
- A judge denied a change of venue request for the trial of former Virginia Officer Stephen Rankin charged with first degree murder in the death of 18 year old William Chapman last year. The trial date is set for March 21.