Feb 18, 2016
Fault Lines Links – Miami Nears Settlement Of Use Of Force Investigation With DOJ
Feb. 18, 2016 (Mimesis Law) — Hi folks, your links update this morning:
- A tentative settlement has been reached in the use of force investigation by the Department of Justice into a spate of black male shootings by Miami police. The DOJ will monitor how the department handles such investigations and trains its officers for four years. Former Tampa Police Chief Jane Castor is being brought in to enforce the agreement.
- An excessive force lawsuit brought by Juan Pablo Flores against former Buffalo, NY, Officer George Menig has been settled for $16,000. Flores alleged that in 2010, Menig stripped him naked and tased him after he had already been handcuffed and determined to no longer be a threat.
- It was revealed that Jawan Richards, who was shot by Baltimore police last month, was pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt. Officers shot Richards after he allegedly attempted to run over an officer.
- A San Jose jury failed to reach a verdict in the trial of former San Jose Officer Geoffrey Graves, accused of raping an illegal immigrant in 2013.
- Billings, MT, Officer Matthew Brewer is on administrative leave while the police department investigate undisclosed allegations of misconduct.