Feb 2, 2016
Fault Lines Links – PA Police Shooting Of Bruce Kelley Questioned
Feb. 2, 2016 (Mimesis Law) — Morning everybody, here are the links:
- The use of deadly force on homeless Bruce Kelley by Wilkinsburg, PA, officers this weekend has been called into question. Kelley was shot dead by officers after scuffling with police and stabbing a police dog. Pennsylvania legislation does not specifically allow for the use of deadly force when a K-9 officer is attacked.
- Former Inkster, MI, Officer William Melendez will be sentenced today. Melendez was convicted of misconduct in office and assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder. Patrol dash cam footage showed Melendez repeatedly punching unarmed motorist Floyd Dent during a traffic stop in January 2015.
- The city of Northampton, MA, reached a $52,500 settlement with Jonas Correia on a police brutality claim. Correia claims officers used excessive force when they wrongfully arrested him in March 2013.
- A white, Washington, DC officer shot and killed an unidentified black man on Monday after he allegedly reached for a replica of a semi-automatic handgun.
- Former Leitchfield, KY, Officer Stephen Miller was sentenced to four years in prison for sexually abusing female students at Bluegrass Challenge Academy in 2013.