Apr 13, 2016
Fault Lines Links – Report: “Serious Deficiencies” In Facility Where Sandra Bland Was Found Dead
Apr. 13, 2016 (Mimesis Law) — Hi people, your links today:
- A new report into the Waller County jail where Sandra Bland was found dead, finds there are serious deficiencies at the facility and that some staff systematically ” dehumanize inmates”. Bland was found hanging in her jail cell three days after she was arrested during a traffic stop. Texas Trooper Brian Encina who arrested Bland in July 2015 was indicted by a grand jury on a perjury charge (dash cam video here).
- South Carolina Officer Justin Craven was sentenced to 80 days community service and 3 years probation for shooting and killing unarmed Ernest Satterwhite following a car chase in February 2014. Dash cam footage shows Craven catching up to Satterwhite, attempting to grab him in his vehicle and then shooting him five times.
- Six witnesses have come forward disputing the police shooting of Luis Gongora on Thursday, asserting that the man posed no threat to officers prior to the fatal shooting. A surveillance video of the San Francisco police shooting of Gongora shows officers firing beanbag bullets and seven shots within 30 seconds of encountering Gongora with a knife. Officers claim they shot Gongora after he threatened them with a knife.
- Chicago police fatally shot a 16-year old Pierre Loury on Tuesday following a short foot chase. The officers believed the teen had been involved in an earlier shooting. The teen’s family maintains that he was unarmed during the confrontation. The officer involved has not been identified and has been removed from the field as an investigation takes place.
- Dion Avila, an alleged bank robbery suspect, was shot dead in his vehicle Tuesday by Denver police as they were attempting to serve a warrant. It is unclear whether he was armed.