Feb 3, 2016
Fault Lines Links – Richmond, CA, Settles Killing Of Richard Perez For $850K
Feb. 3, 2016 (Mimesis Law) — Hi folks, hot links this morning:
- Richmond, CA, agreed to a $850,000 settlement with the family of Richard Perez who was shot dead by police in September 2014. Officer Wallace Jensen shot Perez multiple times outside a liquor store after he allegedly reached for Jensen’s gun while being arrested for intoxication. Witnesses dispute the officer’s account, claiming Perez made no threatening gestures.
- Former Inkster, MI, Officer William Melendez was sentenced to between 13 months and 10 years in prison for the January 2015 assault of Floyd Dent. Dash cam footage showed Melendez repeatedly punching unarmed Dent during a traffic stop. Melendez was convicted in November of misconduct in office and assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder.
- A civilian oversight panel found that LA officers were justified in the fatal shooting of mentally ill, homeless man Charly Keunang on Skid Row last March. Police claim that an erratic Keunang was shot dead after he allegedly reached for an officer’s gun. His family have filed a $20 million wrongful death suit against the city and the LAPD.
- The parents of Ramarley Graham have called for the dismissal of the NYPD Officer Richard Haste over the death of their son. Unarmed Graham was shot in the bathroom of his home by Haste during a drug investigation. The family settled a lawsuit against the city for $3.9 million last year.
- Metro Nashville to settle lawsuit brought by Genaro Pascual against the police department for $200,000. Pascual was accidentally shot in the leg whilst wrestling with an officer in October 2013.