Mar 31, 2016
IP Flow Links – Oracle Seeks $9.3B From Google In Copyright Suit
Mar. 31, 2016 (Mimesis Law) — Hi folks, here’s your IP news update for the week:
- Oracle, who is suing Google for copyright infringement over the use of certain parts of Java language, will ask the jury at their next court date on May 9 for $9.3 billion in damages.
- LG was ordered to pay $3.5 million in damages to Core Wireless Licensing. Core Wireless Licensing claimed that LG infringed on its patents relating to user interface of 2G, 3G, and 4G LTE network technologies. Core Wireless will also request 10 cents for each future sale of the infringing LG products.
- One of the most profitable patent trolls, Uniloc, has had its patent relating to the concept of “product activation” in software invalidated. This same patent cost Microsoft $388 million in damages in 2006.
- SoundCloud launched its new subscription streaming service in an effort to quash criticism of its copyright takedown policy. Read our take on it here.
- Morgan Lewis sat down with Mimesis Labs this week to discuss how to deal with trademark hijackers in Cuba.
- The Donald Trump presidential campaign was sued for copyright infringement by wildlife photographers Wendy Shattil and Robert Rozinski for using their photograph of a bald eagle without permission.
- Axanar Productions responded to Paramount and CBS’s Star Trek copyright infringement lawsuit, stating that copyright cannot protect the Klingon language as it “is an idea or a system, and is not copyrightable”. Axanar has filed a second motion to dismiss the lawsuit. Read our take on it here.
- A judge rejected a motion to dismiss ex-NWA’s manager Gerald Heller’s defamation, misappropriation of likeness and copyright infringement suit against the makers of the “Straight Outta Compton” film.
- The UK’s digital economy and culture minister Ed Vaizey stated this week that under the Copyright Act it is unlawful to screenshot a Snapchat without the user’s consent and that the image owner should be able to sue the perpetrator.