It’s Dangerous To Go Alone!
This article in AdAge is getting a lot of attention today, but I feel like it just confirms what we already know. Web video ads aren’t particularly effective and no one really watches them. The same can probably be said for most web video in general because most of this stuff just sucks.
That said, acknowledging the reality that straight forward video ads don’t get watched is going to cause all kind of consternation and soul-searching throughout the vast and ever-expanding universe of content creation. I’m not sure it’s that complicated. Putting my obvious bias aside, I’d say that making more compelling and engaging video content is an obvious remedy to the problem.
But before you run out and make something awesome, be sure that you are willing and able to avoid the temptation to do it quick, dirty and cheap. The Cleveland Cavaliers experienced what can happen when you do it quick, dirty and cheap this week after crafting an outrageously offensive and completely unfunny video segment. You can avoid this kind of disastrous stupidity by having a diversity of opinions reviewing projects before they go out the door. That requires time and money.
So what am I getting at? Make stuff that has value and sets you apart but take common-sense steps to minimize risk. Venture forth. Carefully. Remember the wisdom passed on to Link so many years ago…
This one comes via super lawyer and Twitter buddy Heraty Quinn. Cat skateboarding. Enough said.
Hot Links- stuff we are thinking about this week
- A changing of the guard is coming up next year at Pillsbury Winthrop.
- Proskauer is laying off 29 staff.
- Cozen O’Connor poached a slew of Dickstein Shapiro attorneys to establish a State Attorney General practice.
- DLA Piper launched a consultancy in the UK to give financial advice to media, entertainment, technology and sports companies. Very interesting.
- An unnamed London-based law firm is openly soliciting merger proposals. Can’t hurt, right?….Right?
Work Product – stuff we published this week
Full Screen Friday
Young, talented and emerging rap star KAAN put this video out and it is just beyond gorgeous (mildly NSFW language).